Critical thinking activities play an important role in kids’ success. It enhances the abilities of understanding, improves decision making, and problems solving skills in the children. These abilities help them in becoming future thinkers, philosophers, scientists, engineers, doctors, writers, and business.
What is Critical Thinking?
It is the most basic question here that, ‘What is critical thinking?” Critical thinking is an advanced level of thought making process. It enables the children to master high thinking abilities at an early age. Critical here means the thorough observation and analysis of a thing or an event. Thinking develops on observation and analysis in turn.
Moreover, critical thinking is a phenomenon of high thoughts that we learn with the procedures of negation and acceptance of the judgments. This article is a concise composition of critical thinking skills and activities that necessary for the children to learn and parents should try to know the critical thinking process to get high success in the future.
Top 10 Critical Thinking Skills for Kids
Critical thinking develops many good skills in kids. Following are the top 10 critical thinking skills that essential for the learning process during childhood:
1. Observation on Properties of Things
Color, size, shape, structure, and weight, etc. are the basic properties of material things. Knowledge of these properties of things is important to learn. Critical thinking helps the kids in observing the properties of things correctly.
2. The Observation of Similarities of Things
Many things have the same shape, color or weight, etc. These common properties of things define similarities. Critical thinking idealizes the children to sort out things on similarities basis. They learn the common properties of things.
3. Observation of Differences in Things
Some things are heavy and some are lighter. Some things are red and others are white. These properties are the differences between things. Children learn and observe differences with critical thinking. They can categorize things on their differences.
4. Grouping Various Things
Groups are the collection of things. Things of the same structure have the same group. Things of the different structures have different groups. Critical thinking is the base of learning of grouping the things in kids.
5. Identification of the Differences
Differences in things are more apparent than the similarities. With the help of critical thinking, children can identify one thing from others. As an example, this skill helps a child to find out a white ball from a heap of balls of various colors.
6. Sorting out the Things
Sorting is a different skill from grouping. Sorting is an advanced skill as compared to the skill of grouping. With grouping skills, they apply similarities while with sorting skills, they apply both the similarities as well as differences of the things.
7. Arranging Things in Size
The size of things relates to their volume, area, or capacity. Critical thinking is necessary for arranging things in size. With this skill kids arrange the things in the light of their heights or volumes etc. The arrangement may be ascending or descending.
8. Arranging Things in Order of Time
This is a time tracking the critical skill of the kids. They arrange old and new things with such skill. Older things are placed earlier than the newer ones. It is the best skill to analyze the things in their use.
9. Comparing the Capacities
Capacity is the strength or the possessive ability of a thing. A cup possesses lesser water than a glass. An iron rod is stronger than a wooden stick. Critical thinking enhances the skill of children for comparing the capacities.
10. Generalizing Examples
Learning requires examples for clarification. Critical thinking makes up the talent of kids to place examples. They can find examples of liquid as milk, water, and honey, etc. With this skill, kids can present apples, oranges, and bananas, etc. as the examples of fruits
How to Develop Critical Thinking Skills
Critical thinking activities for kids help to boost kids’ thinking ability. Parents and teachers should know how to improve critical thinking, They must select the best kids’ critical thinking activities to improve it. So. following are the best activities for kids:
- Material: Activity handout, pencils, internet source
- Method of Time Capsule: 1. Choose five to seven items from the Time Capsule Website
- Identify the items with the help of artificial intelligence
- Describe each object in ten to twenty words
- Discuss the information in the class
- Material: Worksheets, letter blocks, study table
- Procedure: 1. Spread open worksheet on the study table
- Think a word in your mind and write it on paper
- Choose blocks bearing spelling letters of the word
- Join the blocks to find the word you thought
- Material: Lamination sheet, gum stick, picture of any object, pencil
- Method fo Wordplay: 1. Flatten the lamination sheet straight
- Attach the picture on sheet with gum
- Name down the name of the object in the picture
- Write complete words from initial letters of the name
- Check the words for accuracy through a source
- Material: Paper, pencil, charts of food items
- Procedure: 1. Select a meal: breakfast, lunch, dinner
- Write items of your choice in the meal
- Select listed food items to make the menu
- Narrate your selection preferences
5. Tracing the Globe
- Material: Globe, magnifying glass with handle, paper, pencil
- Procedure: 1. Write the name of a famous world city on the paper sheet
- Find out this city on the globe
- Know the name of the country with mentioned city
- Trace all the neighboring countries
- Locate the continent of the city
6. Ordering the Things
- Material: Small toys in different colors and sizes, paper, pencil
- Procedure: 1. Place similar toys in a line on the paper
- Align the remaining toys in a different row
- Order the toys in sizes
- Arrange the toys in colors or shapes
7. Cutting in Pieces
- Material: Cardboard, pencil, ruler, scissors
- Procedure: 1. Make geometrical shapes on the cardboard, color markers
- Cut out the figures from the cardboard
- Arrange the figures in their shapes
- Color the figures with the markers
8. Placing Numerals
- Material: Papers, ruler, pencil
- Procedure: 1. Make square patterns on the paper in cross
- Write different numbers in the cross squares
- Sum the numbers horizontally and vertically
- Calculate the ratio of the horizontal sum to the vertical sum
9. Developing Codes
- Material: Articles of different kinds, papers, pencils
- Procedure: 1. Place various articles on the table
- Write the names of the articles on the paper
- Produce codes for each article with first, second or last letters
- Decode the names on a different sheet
10. Amazing Analogies
- Material: Paper, pencil, English dictionary
- Procedure: 1. Write five to six words on the paper
- Find two similar words for each word
- Find out opposite words for each word
- Group the similar and opposite words with the basic word
There are so many benefits of critical thinking activities for kids. But only some important benefits are mentioned below:
- These activities encourage curiosity among the kids.
- Critical activities enhance creativity in the minds of kids.
- These activities strengthen the real-life problem-solving skills of the kids.
- These activities improve the practices of children’s works.
- Critical activities promote independence for the kids on their learning.
It is important to understand that the above activities are the necessary tools to improve critical thinking. Critical activities produce critical skills in the kids. They facilitate them in building up the critical skills. In turn, critical skills are essential abilities for education and knowledge. Try to create the best critical activities for kids and these support the teachers in teaching critical skills to the kids.
These activities broaden the visionary powers of the children, then with the visionary powers, they explore things for them. Hence the exploration results into discoveries and inventions. These are the outcomes of basic critical thinking activities. Aa a consequence, we can turn the kids of today into the thinkers of tomorrow while teaching them critical thinking.